Sunday 2 December 2012

Lush's 'Big' Shampoo

Since i've decided to grow out my fringe and attempt a middle parting, i've been obsessed with adding volume. Keeping your hair sleek and straight is great with a fringe, but it's difficult to pull of that look without your hair looking like a pair of curtains. I'd had recommendations of Lush's 'Big' Shampoo from various other bloggers who had used it, due to its inclusion of actual sea salt.

Yes, I know what you're thinking: "Sea salt shampoo?! How is that even possible?" To be honest, I thought the same thing. Sea salt spray is designed to help you achieve a tousled look, giving you beachy waves. However, this shampoo promised to give you both amazing volume and super-soft locks that are easy to get a brush through.





The extremely rich shampoo is packed to the brim with real sea salt, however it is carefully balanced with seaweed, coconut, and fresh lemon and lime to ensure shine and softness, which enables you to have the volume of sea salt shampoo without the rough texture you would expect. It is most definitely the most fragrant shampoo I own, with extracts of vanilla, mandarin, neroli and orange flower. With all of the brilliant reviews this product had been given, it was safe to say I could not wait to get in the shower and give it a go!

Here are some photos to show you how it went:


This is how my hair usually looks. Although i'm going to do an in-depth post on what products I use to give my hair more volume, i've used a standard volumising shampoo, followed by a volumising mousse and finished off with a bit of sea salt spray at the roots. This is what I do to my hair on a regular basis in my constant battle with my limp locks to add more volume!


There isn't a lot of difference from my hair here to the previous picture, but here I have used the 'Big' shampoo and no other products. The fact that the same amount the volume (If anything, a little bit more!) with a single product as opposed to three is incredible. I had to refrain from using volumising mousse and seasalt spray to achieve even greater results, but I wanted to show the difference a single product can make. 

This is most definitely an all-time favourite product of mine. You are instructed to shampoo twice, and the lather is so moisturising it feels like it can almost double up as a shower gel.  It is so fragrant it makes shower a really relaxing experience, and massaging it in feels almost like a spa treatment! Once you've finished shampooing, it does get a bit worrying as you find yourself picking out the odd bit of sea salt that hasn't dissolved, and your hair hair is so squeaky clean it sounds like your cleaning a window - your hair literally squeaks. However, once i'd blow-dried my hair, I was shocked at how much lift it had. It was incredibly soft, smelt amazing (Thanks to two shampoo's!) and had just achieved a great amount of volume. Obviously with more products such as a mousse or thickening hairspray it would have achiever greater height, but sometimes the more product you use adds more weight to the hair so ideally less is more.

The only slightly negative comment I have on this product is that you must prepare for an insane amount of lather! However, as Lush products are much more environmentally friendly than other manufacturers it doesn't bother me as much. As well as this, the lather is very rich and moisturising, as opposed to just bubbles!

Salt is a natural preservative, so this shampoo requires no synthetic preservatives, which is just one of the many reasons why I love this product. In my personal opinion this product feels like it could be a bit taxing on the hair if used every day, so I usually use this once or twice a week for a sort of treatment. I could be wrong, but it just feels very thick, and could weigh my hair down if used more regularly. Overall a really impressive product at a reasonable £11.25 for a massive 330g (The lather is so thick only a small amount is needed each time!). A must have for anyone with limp or fine hair - pop it on your Christmas list!

You can purchase 'Big' Shampoo from your local Lush store or online here for £11.25.

No comments:

Post a Comment