Saturday 15 November 2014

Top 5 | Red Lipsticks for Very Fair Skin



I never thought I could pull off red lipstick. I remember giving it a go once and ordering one online and when I went in to show my mum she laughed and said it looked like I was covered in blood. I know she was kidding, but since then i'd stay away from them thinking I was too pale and that i'd look stupid. It was only when I started working at Benefit, when experimenting with lip colours became my job that I got a little bit more daring. Since then, a love affair with red lipstick began. I know sometimes when it's hard to find products that suit your skin that trying to experiment can be a little scary, so I thought i'd share with you my top five red lipsticks for very fair skin.




'True Love's Kiss'  - MAC


This is one of my newer lipsticks that got given to me back in July and it's taken me a while to use it, purely because I think the packaging is so pretty I much prefer it to be sat on the shelf looking pretty! It's from MAC's Malificent collection, and is a lovely cherry red with just enough warmth to give my pale skin some needed colour! I love the texture of this product as it's super creamy and it's so pigmented you only need a little to get a full coverage lip. 

'Virgin' Glamore Lipstick - Illamasqua



This is the sheerest red out of the five, and the one you need to have the most patience with to get a good colour pay-off. It got there in the end as you can tell, but this is the red i'd most reach to if I wanted something less dramatic that I could lightly dab onto the lips for more of a stain. One negative I would say about this, and this goes for all Illamasqua lipsticks in general, is that the bullet is so pointed it makes it so difficult to apply, so I would definitely recommend applying with a lip brush or using a really strong microscopic mirror!


'Dangerous' Retro Matte Lipstick - MAC


To be honest, this almost didn't make the cut. I originally wanted to include Benefit's 'Dare Me', but I couldn't find it so this was really my back up. I do like it, but when I look back at pictures of me wearing it it is really bright! However, this is the most daring shade (So 'Dangerous' is probably quite a fitting name, ha ha!) and I do feel quite glam when I wear it. It's more of an orange red, so might not be to everyones taste, but definitely something I grab if a standard red lip just isn't enough!

'Mrs. Mia Wallace' - Urban Decay


This is probably the darkest and most highly-pigmented lipstick I own. Having tried a fair few Urban Decay lipsticks i've learnt that they are amazing for strong colour, and this is no exception. Brought out as part of their limited edition Pulp Fiction collection, this is an amazing blood red that is perfect applied on top of the matching lip liner. It's really hydrating and super glamorous; the glossy finish feels very 1920's! For a full review of this product, check out my post here.

'Ruby Woo' Matte Lipstick - MAC



When I first thought about this post, this was the first product I thought of, as it was the first red lipstick that I felt comfortable wearing. Ruby Woo is loved by many as its universally flattering and extremely long-lasting. Matte lipsticks are brilliant for their fantastic colour pay-off, which generally lasts from morning to night with very little need to touch up. When posting this image underneath 'Mrs. Mia Wallace' it may look a little flat, but I promise that this is a product that every lipstick lover needs in their arsenal.


So there you have it! I've definitely started to become more adventurous when it comes to my lipstick choices - i'm trying so hard not to buy anymore pinks or nude corals! I spent a long time feeling self-conscious about being so pale, but now i've really learnt to embrace it. I've now learnt to ignore those 'What shade looks best on your skin' charts you see on cosmetic counters and in magazines - remember, these are just my favourites and if you like it, wear it whatever the colour!

No comments:

Post a Comment